We all know it’s important to read the Bible, but it’s also important to study it. The hard part is knowing how to get started. Here are 8 simple Bible study tips to help you:
1. Decide on a specific topic. What do you want to know more about? Some of my suggestions: Christ’s birth, death, and resurrection; the deity of Christ; the rapture; the tribulation; God’s promises, etc. Once you figure out the topic, then decide on what questions you may have concerning the topic of study.
2. Use Google. Go online and search for Bible verses about your specific topic. You can even search for part of a verse, and it will tell you where it’s found in the Bible. It’s also good for finding definitions of words in the Bible that you don’t understand.
3. Take notes. Write down your topic of study, the verses you found, and any questions you have concerning the topic. Refer back to your notes often as you study.
4. Pray for understanding. This is very important. Anytime you pray for guidance, God will provide! Psalm 119:18 says: Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
5. Compare verses. It’s very important to read verses in context. Once you understand the context, then you can study all the verses about the specific topic together to get a better understanding.
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. II Timothy 2:15
6. Memorize verses. Write down a verse that you want to memorize. Read it to yourself everyday for a week until you can remember it. Psalm 119:11 says: Thy word have I hidden in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
7. Join a Bible study group. Many churches have Bible study groups for new Christians, singles, married couples, and senior citizens. Go online and search for one near you.
8. Listen to Christian preachers online. Many good Christian preachers have their sermons available to the public online. One preacher I highly recommend is Dr. Charles Stanley of In Touch Ministries. You can find his website here.
I hope this list is helpful to you. What is one thing that you would add to this list?
- Love As Christ Loved (Ephesians 5:25)
- Jesus Is The Way (John 14:6)